Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Anthony's learning to scuba dive!



So I can't say that I'm totally thrilled about this. In one way I'm so happy that he gets this experience, but my hysterical fear of being eaten in the ocean makes me a little skittish about this new adventure. Why wouldn't you try it though!? Okinawa is one of the top 10 world dive spots! The coral reefs here pale by some opinion the Great Barrier Reef in Australia! There are species that are here that are no where else. Yes, there are sharks too. But we won't talk about it! :)




I've researched a bit to find out that there are four species of sea turtles that make a huge journey to the China Sea and the Ryukyu Islands (The chain of islands that includes Okinawa). One of them is the Loggerhead sea turtle. Right now is the migration season, and they are making the trip to lay their eggs in the sand, which will hatch later this year. It's a pretty exciting time for the area. I say this because the scuba lessons have came for the reason Anthony has been invited on a long (two tank) dive on another island to see the migrating turtles. It will be an amazing experience. The girls are so happy they want daddy to bring home a picture of Nemo! When his trip is over and we download the pictures I will be posting them!

0 comments: