Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Domesticated Day!




So today was a glorious and beautiful sunny day! Sierra and I started it with a walk while Andi was enjoying herself at school, then played outside in our new princess house. It was then in the midst of reading a large textbook that I decided to make homemade jam. Here in Okinawa fruit is outrageously priced. For example, apples are $2 a pound, mangos are $8 a pound, and strawberrys are $12 a pound normally. Well right now strawberrys are $3 a pound! I was so excited I bought 3 flats and made freezer jam. I only made it through 1 1/2 before I ran out of pectin, but all in all this is a special treat for us. No more hording the homemade jams from the states that I conned the moving man into hiding in our boxes (food and perishables aren't allowed because if they break on the ship in transit then the rats and birds eat your stuff and ruin your items). My husband will be so excited to come home to this tonight after his long day today. The only bummer was on the way out of the store, Sierra tripped on the sidewalk and ripped open her old scrape wound from before and gashed it bad. She soaked her socks with blood and got quite a bit on her shoes before I got her in her seat an a wipe held on it. Poor thing. :( But she was brave, laughed about it tickling after a while, and Andi helped mommy make Sierra happy by bringing her a toy (she's so thoughtful sometimes). Honestly, there was only a brief moment when I thought I would kill over in the parketlot from the sight of all the blood, but I made it! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...I am loving the blogging thing. It is so fun to read about what is going on in the lives of my family and friends. Thank you for letting me find your blog. Stop by again soon. :) Your stories of strawberry jam sound somewhat familiar to my feelings when in New Mexico.

Ashley said...

I cant believe the fruit prices over there! Homemade jam yum!

NanaLew said...

You are a wonderful mommy and wife! I miss the fun we had cooking together and stuff like that. maybe someday.......